Preparing Your Vehicle for the Summer
Summer has kicked off – for many, this means lazy days on the beach, cold ice cream on the boardwalk and spending time with friends and family. But summer takes a toll, especially on your vehicle. Between heat, dust, stop-and-go traffic and lingering effects from winter, your vehicle may be at risk of a breakdown.
By keeping up to date on your vehicle’s maintenance, you can make sure that your ride lasts throughout the hottest days of the year. Here are some tips to keep your motor purring long into the summer (some of these you can do yourself – others may require a professional).
- Keep your A/C alive! We don’t have to tell you how much it sucks to get into a vehicle that has been sitting in the summer sun and realize you have no way to cool it off quickly (especially if your car has leather seats or a dark exterior). If your system is only marginally operational, it is likely to fail in the heat. Before it becomes an issue, have a certified technician inspect it.
- Speaking of cooling, one of the most common causes of vehicle failure in the summer is overheating. You should completely flush and refill your cooling system at least once every two years. You should also keep an eye on your coolant levels, condition and concentration. Remember – never remove a radiator cap until your engine has fully cooled.
- If you frequently make short trips, extended trips with lots of luggage or you often tow, you should get your oil looked at more often than the recommended every 3,000 miles.
- Keep your lights clean and functional.
- Have your tires rotated every 5,000 miles and check your tire pressure at least once a month. Make sure your spare is also in good condition.
- Brake problems – even small ones – should be corrected as soon as possible. If you hear any odd noises coming from your brakes, get them checked ASAP.
- Lastly, make sure your engine is performing correctly. Replace filters like air, fuel, and PCV more often than recommended if conditions are dusty. Take your vehicle to a qualified shop to ensure top engine performance.
If you would like a technician to take a look at your Mercedes or BMW to make sure it is ready for the summer, call Silver Star Motors at 916-318-9445.